WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Come on in. Kick back. Relax. Stay a while.

This blog is dedicated to my adventure in photography. You'll see bits of my adopted hometown, New Orleans, as well as plenty of pictures of my sons, Dylan and Logan, and, of course, the children and families that allow me to capture the special moments in their lives.

I'll be updating the blog frequently, so add me to your blog reader. And if you have a blog yourself, I'd love to be added to your blog roll. Lastly I love comments so if you've particularly enjoyed a post or a photo please let me know!

Friday, August 29, 2008

Go Away Gustav

Is it fitting that once again on August 29th we spend the day glued to the TV watching the weather news? Three years ago today we watched in disbelief - seven of us crowded around a small battery-operated TV - as New Orleans quickly filled with water. As people climbed onto their roofs and floated on mattresses looking for rescue. We were safely an hour away thanks to the generosity of friends, but up until the last minute we had seriously considered staying. That was Katrina.

Following Katrina we spent two weeks in Houston and then two and a half months in Austin. We were lucky to both still have our jobs. Of course there were no kids at the time, but we did have our furry babies - a dog and two cats - with us. It took us nine months after we came back to fix our house. We moved back in just a few days before Katrina's one year anniversary. It was a draining, back-breaking year. Two years later and there are still small things in the house that we've never finished.

I honestly I don't think I can do it again. Yet here we are three years post-Katrina and we're making evacuation plans again - this time for Gustav. We still have to consider the safety of a cat and a dog, but now we also have to protect and provide for two little boys who have no idea that there's a hurricane heading toward their home. So please cross you fingers for us - all of us in the New Orleans area - that Gustav will fizzle out and go away. Because we're still tired. Way too tired to do it all again.

No comments: